Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I was born and raised in Russia. So, it was my first time abroad when I came to Wildwood, NJ in summer of 2005. I remember that there was a ton of things that surprised, shocked or puzzled me and my friend (we came here together).
There were all sorts of things, starting from a salt package that we tried to open for like half an hour to clothes in store that has only 4 sizes: small, medium, large and x-large, we fit in neither of them and didn't shop for the whole summer.
But I can point out one thing that is very characteristic for the majority of Americans, which is makes American and Russian people differ a lot. The thing is that, very often Americans come across as very emotional people, who get easily excited; they are extra nice and caring and they have their Hollywood smile on all the time. At first I felt skeptic about this kind of behavior, it seemed to me fake sometimes.
At the time I was working in a store on the boardwalk and I used to see women come into the store, see pretty bracelets for $10 and start jumping like little girls saying: "OH MY GODDD!!! How cute! How Pretty! It's amazing! I Love It! I Love It! I Love It!" And I would think to myself: "Ok, yes, the bracelets ARE pretty, but it's not like they are some miracle bracelets that will, for example, turn all the singles in your wallet into 100 dollar bills. Why jump like that? It looks stupid."
Also, people always had a smile on their faces, they smiled walking along the boardwalk, walking into the store or just talking to me. In the beginning I kept thinking: "What's so funny? Is there something wrong with my clothes? Or makeup?" I started carrying a little mirror in my purse and kept checking myself, later I realized that it's not me, the people are just smiling. My American friends always asked me why I look upset or sad and I kept telling them that I’m fine and happy, if I don't smile it doesn’t mean I’m upset.
I tried to do it myself - to smile more often, at first I felt like an idiot. But in a week or so, I just felt like smiling. It helped me to understand American mentality more. After all, why not smile to each other? Why not get happy about simple things? If these little things don’t get you excited or happy, then what does?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saying: "OH MY GODDD!!! How cute! How Pretty! It's amazing! I Love It! I Love It! I Love It!" because a bracelet for $10 is a little bit exaggerated. However, it is common in our lives. Sometimes, it is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not to sure about life in NJ, but what seem funny to me is that in NY I saw the complete opposite. People never have time to smile, they are always in a hurry... got to get to work...got to go home... got to pay these bills... Never time for a smile. Especially in the city, people are damn near running past each other.
    It may just appear this way to me, because in Trinidad (where I'm from), everything is laid back. We don't hurry to work, we don't rush to the club... We do everything on what we call "Trinidad time." Just in case you may not have realized, "Trinidad time" is ANYTIME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost felt the same way when I first moved here. Not only was I bothered by the fake smile, I hated being asked about my well-being all the time, when in fact no one really cared. However, I soon realized that it was just an empty gesture and went along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you about people who get over excited about simplest things. I have been to a lot of small towns along highways all over US and people are always TOO happy. As annoying as it is sometimes, it can actually be a refreshing gesture. I sometimes enjoy sharing a smile with a stranger at a rest area during a long drive or just ask a store clerk at a gas station how their day is going. You have no idea how a small conversation can change your mood when you have been driving for 10 hours and your eyes are literally closing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By living in NY, where people are generally not always smiling or upbeat, it is definitely refreshing to go to the suburbs or country somewhere and meet the friendliest people you have ever seen. I once got lost in a small town in PA and asking one gentleman for directions domino effected into the whole gas station working together to get me on the right road. It seems as though you are perceiving smiling or showing emotion as a bad thing when in actuality it can brighten your day :)

    ReplyDelete