Wednesday, May 12, 2010

DISC

I usually like all sorts of assessments like DISC that are supposed to tell you who you are and what you are. But after completing this particular one i was slightly disappointed. According to the test I'm an IS person.
I was so excited to read what it actually meant, but the descriptions of the types of the personalities seemed to me so vague, general and broad. I-management type is described as convincing, magnetic, political, enthusiastic, persuasive, warm, demonstrative, trusting, and optimistic. S-management type people are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable and consistent.
Even though the results were not as specific as i would like them to be, nevertheless, they were pretty accurate. I can definitely identify myself with the description of IS type of manager. Sometimes i noticed that i can influence people or become a team leader without appearing to be dominant. Also, i do consider myself a stable person. When i think about it, i have a lot of friends and co-workers, even the ones that are older than me, who trust me with their problems, whatever they are and asking for advice.
I can see how this test can be helpful to some people, but i personally wouldn't rely on the results of it in order for me to pick the right way to communicate with a certain person. I still rely on my own perception when it comes to this. Ultimately, all these management types come from the types of personality. What kind of manager you'll be depends on your personal psychological qualities. If a person is struggling with shyness all his or her life, if the person simply hates to be in the spotlight, i think it is unlikely this person will ever become a dominant type of manager, no matter how much this person works on being less shy.

5 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read that someone else was slightly disappointed with their result. I was labeled as a SC person, but didn't feel like it said that much about me as a person:/I think that the test was right when describing you as a person who can influence the team to work harder without acting as an authoritarian. You have a very good way of getting the group back on track, and inspire the group to do better. I think you have a lot of great leadership qualities, and hopefully the test helped you see that as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comment about how this test was vague, broad. But I think that it is necessary for tests like this to be that way. I mean, there is no possible way that a test could tell you exactly what type of a person you are. I mean, I am sure the CIA or the FBI has a much better, refined version of this test but even that can only go so far. In the end, we are human and humanity is just so different than each other but in other ways the same also, that it is nearly impossible for a test to exactly pinpoint your personality. What it comes to do is our own perception and "gut feeling" of the other person. Nothing is better than our own "Management Test" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need to remember that just because you might be an I-S type does not mean you don't have the characteristics in the other two. In a way I believed I was all but of course given the circumstances. As Anshal mentioned, there is no perfect test to determine exactly what you are. No two individual are the same and we have to remember that this is one test but although I did find the test to be pretty accurate. I think some of us might have been disappointed because maybe they have been trying to push for to be a certain kind of person and a test like this shuts you down and reveals you are something else. Don't worry, I believe if a person wants then they can adapt to being either a D, I, S, or a C

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it best when you mentioned not to use this test as a means to see what type of communication method to use. This test definitely told us more about ourselves, but everyone should be judged by their own personal actions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the test described you well: you look like a balanced and calm person who knows what she wants and is able to communicate it to people around. But the way we implement our skills depends on a situations, of course.

    ReplyDelete